Tuesday, April 28, 2020

One Day at a Time


Reading back through the last several weeks of posts that I have written I am reflecting on how this situation has unfolded both for me personally and professionally.  Unfolding in some way suggests that it was a slow process of events when in actuality we all know it has been anything but slow. It has been unbelievably fast and furious.  My family like many went from spring break plans to the reality of school closures and canceled events. Our company went from full steam ahead to contemplation of a factory shut down in a matter of days.  Our country, indeed the world, has seen seismic shifts in a matter of weeks.

The reality of it all I think has yet to sink in, as each day we work through new realities and new decisions.  How do I juggle work and teaching today?  Can my husband cover a webinar so my five year old doesn't jump into my Zoom meeting?  Those are the easy questions.  Do we extend our factory and office closure or do we open?  How do we manage our business needs and our employee needs? What happens if we have a case at work?  Those are the tougher questions that loom in front of all business owners. There are no easy answers.

And yet, I find tremendous comfort in the saying, "one day at a time".  Inside of this crisis there have been and will be many tragedies, real hurt and real loss.  At times I have been overcome by the emotions of it all and have to have a good cry.  That's healthy.  However, none of us can stay in that place for long.  Thankfully I have my young children in the house for a quick snap back to the now.  The urgent scream from the restroom, "Mommy, come help," is enough to jerk anyone out of their seat.  Take action on what is now, on what is in front of you.  (That's what 5 years olds are good for- and it's a great lesson for all of us.)  Stay in the now.  God only gives us one day at a time for a reason.  The past is the past, what happens tomorrow, nobody knows, but today is the present.  Treat it like one.








No comments: